Several members of a parliamentary committee yesterday raised the issue of social media influencer Ranveer Allahbadia’s crass comments on a YouTube show called ‘India’s Got Latent’, calling for strict action and strengthening measures to curb such incidents.
BJD MP Sasmit Patra said several members cutting across party lines raised the issue and expressed the need to take stringent measures to ensure that such incidents do not recur, a PTI report stated yesterday.
The committee, which is headed by BJP MP Nishikant Dubey, is likely to write to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry on the issue.
BJP MPs Anil Baluni, V D Sharma, Lahar Singh Siroya and Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Priyanka Chaturvedi were among those who raised the issue, sources said.
Meanwhile, on February 12 PTI had reported that comedian Samay Raina said he has removed all episodes of ‘India’s Got Latent’ from his YouTube channel in the wake of the controversy over influencer Ranveer Allahbadia’s remark on the comedy show, even as the VHP claimed that his upcoming Gujarat shows stand,,, cancelled.
In his first response since the controversy erupted earlier this week, Raina said he will fully cooperate with all the investigating agencies in their probe.
“Everything that is happening has been too much for me to handle. I have removed all ‘India’s Got Latent’ videos from my channel. My only objective was to make people laugh and have a good time. I will fully cooperate with all agencies to ensure their inquiries are concluded fairly. Thank you,” Raina, 27, posted on X.
Allahbadia, 31, stirred up a major controversy with comments on parents and sex on Raina’s show that went viral on social media on Monday (February 10), leading widespread criticism and multiple police complaints in Mumbai and Guwahati.
(Image of Ranveer Allahbadia courtesy his Instagram page)